Thursday, November 15, 2007

my inner demons

So maybe the most dissapointing bike day of my life. Woke up this am and could still not bend my knee without pain around my lateral condyle from my IT band. I have dealt with this before and know that without proper care will only get worse and can become chronic so despite every amount of despire I have I pulled the plug on one of the coolest adventures I have ever experienced. The worst part is, I have good form, yesterday at the 5hr mark I was fresh and realing in the boys that tried to stay with the leader. My legs and body feel great.

It's been very dificult to purge yesterdays getting lost misadventure from my mind but I got over it and was ready to thrash the pedals but have no release. The next few days are going to be challenging for me. I don't think I can handle hanging around the race so I may take a cab north to lake Arenal where Rosie is hanging out. I will try to put a positive spin on it all.

Sorry for the poor news, I feel like I let a lot of people down. Ending on a positive note costa rica is amazing- croccidiles, monkeys, mountains, waterfalls!!
thanks- check sager site and monaviecannondale.com for more race details

8 Comments:

Blogger StupidBike said...

Sorry to hear this Bart, keep yer head up tho.

enjoy the time down there.

9:34 AM

 
Blogger UtRider said...

Man, those dudes better watch out next year! To be in 7th with fresh legs after 5 hours is impressive. Not to mention the fact you've been fighting a cold. Just keep that thought in mind and forget about the subsequent detour through the jungle.

3:38 PM

 
Blogger tri-sportsgirl said...

Hey Bart,
I'm sorry to hear about your IT band. I know how hard it is to have to pull from a race, but I really doubt you let anyone down. It is all part of racing. You are definitely one of the few that I really look up to in racing and in life.

3:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're not letting anyone down. Damn the man! And the IT band.

6:45 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your IT. I have been following race results daily and waiting for updates. Was quite worried when I didn't see you on the initial finish list for stage II. Was just hoping it wasn't an over the handlebar fracture...but actually guessed an overuse problem. Enjoy your vacation...I don't mind pulling your weight at work. See you soon.

3:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the race is lost, but you still have what's most important to you...your fam!

8:01 AM

 
Blogger flahute said...

No worries, Bart ... we're all proud that you made the attempt, and know that you'll come back with a vengeance next year.

12:42 PM

 
Blogger Grizzly Adam said...

Better to get healed up now and ride another day, than to ruin your knee. Fantastic attempt at a race that looks utterly unbearable.

Great job!

11:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home