Saturday, December 01, 2007

a neoprene glove day

It's a good sign when I have to bust out the snow blower on a cross morning.

Despite the dumping snow I decided to bundle up and ride to the race today. I packed my fresh race clothes in a back pack and rallied the snow covered roads for a warm up. Legs are starting to get back to normal after a solid week of commuting and felt good on the ride in. I changed in Ohran's sprinter and felt like Nys in the RV, maybe next year will have some Mona Vie sprinters.

I love fast slick conditions that only snow pack can provide, mud's fun but can be messy and slow things down to much. Today was one of those perfect blizzard days we only get every few years. I burned a few laps to dial in my tire pressure and was grinning ear to ear, this is fun. The race went well for me and I could only dream of having these conditions at a big race like nationals. I love how the course changes throughout the race and you have to adapt as you go, absolute focus is necessary. I told Gardie my goal was to not crash once, I failed due to a lack of concentration and went down at the round about, that got my attention and I stayed on it the rest of the race. Looks like everyone was having a good time today, even the anouncers seemed to have a little more pep!

If you don't have some neoprene diving gloves you should get some, when it's cold and wet and you need fine motor control they can't be beat. I like the 2-3mm ones, they provide good dexterity and grip well when wet.

After the race I bundled up again and rode home, the snow haD stopped but the roads were still slushy, I figured since my bike was already dirty I might as well get a little riding in.

This evening we put in some serious sectional shopping time to outfit our loft, we did not buy anything but the pasta with marinara at IKEA is pretty good for $1.99. Now I am working on running some wires and mounting a flat screen on the wall, when I get it done it will be perfect for euro cross video night.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jared said...

The only thing that would have gotten me to the race yesterday was a full neoprene body suit. Way to go though. After reading this, I wish would have gone for it.

10:57 AM

 
Blogger flahute said...

Of course, being busy killing it on the course, did you get a chance to see any of the snowball fight that J-Rad, Turbo, and Sam Krieg had down by the barriers mid-race?

Made me wish I wasn't sitting in the Trooper at the finish line so I could have grabbed some photos.

3:20 PM

 
Blogger Team Rico said...

amazing ride Bart, very impressed

8:34 AM

 
Blogger B-Horn said...

Mang-er, it was like you weren't even on the same surface as everyone else. You are like a ninja-rider with supreme balance and cross bike powers... can you break brinks with your tire levers too?

3:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo, your idea it is very good

10:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What necessary words... super, an excellent phrase

2:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home