Sunday, September 20, 2009

Summer Blowout

Saturday's ride was everything you could ask for after a great season of mountain biking. It was like gooey icing on top of a perfectly moist chocolate cake, not necessary but oh so nice!

The nature of the ride allowed many opportunities for people to come and go as they needed so our group size fluctuated between 4 and 10-12, I am not sure! The route was very PCPPish in that it was nearly all singletrack and probably fairly similar stats, I don't have any technology for the numbers.

Up Emigration-Killyons-Aflec Park-Big Mountain-Old Mormon Trail (by the dead moose and one of the best DH's in the Wasatch)-East Canyon Dirt Road-Gorgoza Park-Pinebrooke Perimeter North-Pinebrooke Perimeter West-Pinebrooke Perimeter South-Mid Mountain-Pole Line-Shadow Lake-Puke Hill- Crest-Mid Mountain Connector-Mid Mountain North-Sick Connector Trail-Pinebrooke Perimeter East- Pinebrooke-Gargoza Park.

The temps and dirt were perfect, you could rage the DH 8th wheel with absolutely perfect vision, no dust! With all the stops and BSing we were out for 8 hours and just rode a steady pace the whole time. Thanks for everyone that joined in the fun, it would be a great ride alone but just not the same!

Everyone keeps asking me, are you training for cross? Why are you doing all these big MTB rides? Yea I am training for cross, this is just how I do it. I ride my bike. Big MTB rides are fun and I can build fitness without using an ounce of focus. I am not a believer in super structured training, it takes to much metal energy. When you have a life full of structure why add more. The last thing I want to be doing is downloading some wattage numbers or riding in the basement. Numbers and trainers may help build fitness but they will never teach you how to go fast. I want to save all my matches for the race, you only have so many and I don't want to burn them up staring at the back of scooter. I am not saying this is for everyone, but it works for me.

Doing crossvegas for the first time, I normally go up to the starcrossed but thought I would mix it up a little this year. Not chasing the UCI thing with the South American races coming up so might as well trey something new. Not real excited about the vegas course but the scene should be fun and I will get a chance to ride hard. Also should help me prepare for the big time Utah Cross Series! And don't forget the Cross Clinic this year is the day after the 1st race, to bad it's not before that's where I dial in my technique!

So get out there and start training for cross...

4 Comments:

Blogger drrna said...

I'm with you 100% about the "training" program. My indoor trainer is lost somewhere in the basement storage and probably rusted from years of non use. I would like to get a few more races in before 'cross starts, but have to take them as work allows.

11:29 AM

 
Blogger StupidBike said...

the 1.5 hours I made it with you all absolutely 'blew me out'

1:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also agree with your way of training. I think I did one set of structured intervals this season and bailed before I was finished. Just not interested. I won't argue that structure combine with science will almost always produce results, but killing yourself doing what you love is just not worth it. I like to ride and sometimes when I ride I like to go hard.

1:27 PM

 
Anonymous Jane said...

Admirable training you have there. Good luck! I am enjoying your posts. Thanks for sharing. By the way, these best gifts that you could give your better-half might interest you too. Thanks and have a nice and fulfilling day.

7:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home