Tuesday, September 08, 2009

pcpp

It's nice to have an serious endurance mountain bike race in the Wasatch. We have one of the best trail systems in the world and it is nice to race on some of it rather than riding around in circles on the scrappy trails.


I put together a good race but made a few fueling mistakes that took me out of the contest. I did not have great legs from the get go but rode real steady. It probably would not have mattered anyway as I can't match Alex on the long climbs. We had a great time riding together for the first 50 miles and enjoyed some good conversation, the rainbow going onto 4 points was a highlight. We would switch off the lead when the guy in front blew a turn which was fairly often. Next year we should know the course a little better. I think going under 7 hrs will be possible if we get cool temps and good dirt again. We will have to be more aggressive with the pace early on and particularly focus on making time on the mellow sections like Lost Prospector, Flagstaff, and Mid Mountain over to Tour de Suds. Also need to shave some time in the feed zones. Great legs and perfect fueling will also help. Alex should be able to do it no problem, I will have to have a good day.

I should have ate more working our way over to Park City before the big climb up to Shadow Lake. I just had a drop in energy for a bit and could not keep the pace, fueling helped a little but once you get behind you are never the same so I took it easy up Spiro and then had fun ripping Mid Mountain, if you can call it ripping.

Here is a little list of the my gear and nutrition in case I want to reference it for next year.

Cannondale Scalpel- Rules!
Kenda
1.9 small block 8, a little more air than normal but I should have went with normal.
29-40 double chainrings with 12-34 cassette- perfect setup
Packed 2 tubes, 1 big air, 1CO2, 1 crank brothers multi tool 17, and quick link.

Friday night dinner: Steak Burrito at Chubbies in PC. Bowl of Bryers Cookies and Cream. Slept in Chris P's bed while Alex was on his air mattress on the floor. Thanks Chris!

Up at 5:30, Big glass of water, 2 monavie active gels, oatmeal with blueberries and peanut butter, and a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie before riding to the start from Chris P's house. Arrived about 5 minutes before the gun goes off. Got to love racing locally!

Multiple trips to the John including one right before the start in the Sage Brush (packed some paper anticipating such an event, that was a life saver considering the week I had.

6 bottles carborocket- mix of flavors but mostly mango
1 bottle Emv (2 cans) at feed zone 3
2 packs blocks
1 pack honey stinger chews- maybe my new favorite
1/2 pack chomps
1/2 pack sharkies
1 chocolate gel
1 little debbie snack at feed 3- to little to late

After having the stomach flu earlier in the week and having a sketchy stomach all week I was very nervous about eating on the bike but in hindsight I should have done some more food just after feed zone 2. Anyway, always learning.

Favorite trails: bow hunter to flagstaff, TG1-2, Johns. Actually everything from Guardsman to bottom of Johns was awesome! Low point: getting around Shadow Lake with hunger knock and nausea while Alex cruised on.
Got off my bike twice, once to remove weeds from the cassette and once to lube my chain at feed zone 3. Pee stop at bottom of Johns and on Mid Mountain while straddling the bike.
No crashes.

Looking forward for another go next year!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home