Saturday, January 22, 2011

easy skizy through the treezy

At some point during the last couple weeks a switch was flipped. I don't know what happened but the excitement and confidence are flowing strong. Eva has become a skier. In the past she had fun but only for a run or two and always had to right by my side. Now at the end of the day she begs for one more run.

We skied at Solitude on Monday with the Samurai's crew and she could not get enough. The nuking wind had not effect on her morale. Every day this week as I was leaving for work she asked if we could ski today? I had to explain the harsh realities of life. I have to work and you have to go to school but "yes we will get out again soon". Friday we towed up Neffs which is one of our mid week ski stomps. The snow was boilerplate ice and she thought it was great. Can't get enough of the water bar "jumps".

Today after a morning tour on Kessler and a surprisingly good run on the Lawnmower, the girls met me at Solitude for another date on the hill. Again, it was nuking snow and wind but the rosy red cheeks were out in full force. She has discovered the "trees" and we can't do a run without her leading us down a tree trail. "Easy Skizy through the Treezey". We have created a monster!

She has developed a pretty good arsenal of turn diameters. Generally tighter as the slope gets steeper. I love watching her semi snow plow parallel GS turn. I think being timid early on helped as she was so afraid of going fast she really learned to turn. Now the fear is melting away she can us her turning skills to check speed rather than just snowplow. She tells me the next step is poles...







We had Stella in boots as well but once she got in skis on snow she decided otherwise. "I want to sled until I am 3"

Wonder if I can tow both of them...

3 Comments:

Blogger Missy B. said...

awesome, Bart. your girls are so cute. i remember skiing with my dad when i was a little kid, and those are some of the happiest days of my life! they are so lucky that you are their dad.

8:58 PM

 
Blogger Miller Time said...

Yeah Eva! I think watching/teaching my kids learn to ski was one of the great joys in life.

7:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! I am working with my girls (4 and 6) as well, but not nearly as skilled a teacher as you!

10:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home