Friday, June 06, 2008

gray ghost #2

Until today I hadn't felt the rush of writing a big check since building our home.



When I was 16 my grandfather gave me a 1976 gray Cutlass Supreme. Being the the bicentennial year it had 2 bald eagles on the owners manual. It was a 2 door but should have been 4. If you opened the doors in a parking lot without at least 1 free space on each side you would likely leave a mark in somebodies rig. The shocks were blown so when you got up to speed it felt like you were floating. It had an old BMX trophy as a hood ornament and tons of cool stickers in the rear window. That baby rolled to a few of my first bike races with Wyatt and Adam in the back seat and the bikes in the trunk, they don't make trunks like that anymore. All the neighbour kids paid me gas money to give them a ride to school, we packed them in and I had a waiting list.

When it finally wouldn't pass inspection I sold it to a scrap yard for $50. About 6 months later I got a letter in the mail from the state asking if my Cutlass had been stolen because it had been recovered from a high speed chase and armed robbery.

the legend continues.....

8 Comments:

Blogger Team Rico said...

let me be the first to say congradulations, you'll never buy anything less.....I love ours

9:06 PM

 
Blogger Bart G said...

I bought my first minivan in 1996, once you have had one you can't go back.

6:39 AM

 
Blogger Eat Sleep MTB said...

I bought a Toyota Tacoma a while back thinking that was cooler than a mini-van. All my MTB gear would blow out the back, the bumber was too high and hot in the Texas sun to sit on. Mini-Vans rule!

Bart, can I make a blog request. I noticed your big air setup while lining up behind you at Sundance. What exactly is it. It looked like bigair with the top taped on with electrical tape.

8:10 AM

 
Blogger Bart G said...

yea it is a regular big air can with with a loop of electrical tape around the top so it does not rattle loose. That way you don't have to thread the top down to the rubber o-ring and puncture the can for the top to stay on.

12:22 PM

 
Blogger Eat Sleep MTB said...

The old ones used to come with a big fat O-ring. Does that not keep it on without puncturing the can? I thought maybe you also had other things hidden in the electrical tape (quick links, etc.)?

3:57 PM

 
Blogger Bart G said...

I have a quick link elictrical tapped to my cable housing

9:45 PM

 
Blogger jsager said...

the country's anniversary is '76. eagles in '74? I hope you didn't pass on the just add oil Blue Van.

1:18 AM

 
Blogger Bart G said...

your right it was a 76

8:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home