Sunday, December 09, 2007

ut x final

You know it's not your day when your favorite neoprene gloves fall out of your skinsuit and into the toilet just after relieving yourself.

The one down side to a winning steak in Utah cross is complacency, I hate to say it but sometimes I have a difficult time getting myself motivated to put out a good effort at the local races, poor weather only exacerbates the problem. I get complacent. I don't dial in all the details, get a good warm up, dial in the tire pressure, and bring my A game, the competition is just to good for this lack luster effort. Yesterday I paid for it at the hand of Ali G.

I think it was my absolute least favorite conditions, thick mud that slows the race down to a crawl. It takes most of the technical aspect out of the race because you are never going fast enough. Ali rips in this stuff and his aggressive style had mud in my eyes and me off the pace. I was so cold I just could not get going, my legs felt like lead pipes. I put in a couple days of hard efforts during the week with the hope of stimulating some high end in time for nationals that I had not completly recovered from. What a contrast from wheeler the week. Anyway, I found myself just riding along and letting other people set my tempo, I know better than that. So with about 3 laps to go I pulled up my panty hose and decided to give it a 1 lap dig and see if I could make up any time. I seemed to have brought a little back so I rode flat out until I caught socks G with about 1/2 lap to go, I got to give it to him though, he did not go down without a fight and even stuffed me wide into the snow when I tried to pass the first time. The 2nd time was clean and right before the barriers headed into the false flat mud drag where I was able to open a gap to take the win. I have a lot of respect for Ali's game, he leaves all on the court.

Big props to all the 1st season cross racers for sticking it out all season. You will reap the rewards. The Ridley and Revolution gals are only going to get better, what about team Rico with a 3rd yesterday? DH and his clan rode strong all year, and I am willing to bet that they will again crush on the road next year. Cross form carries you through winter like nothing else.
I can't mention everyone but it is good to see the Utah cross family growing.
Will see everyone at the party.

Today I traded in the cross bike for the skinny skis and had a good time at Mtn Dell. I am hoping a little rest will have me raring to go for Kansas next week, will see.

3 Comments:

Blogger flahute said...

Definitely one of the most exciting races I've seen in awhile ...

Good luck next weekend in KC.

9:34 PM

 
Blogger Team Rico said...

Thanks Bart! Way to finish it strong. Great quote after the race. "I was just sick of losing". Thats how the rest of us feel each week chasing you around. Good luck in KC. Wish I would have planned for it....

11:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the support this year!!

7:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home