Tuesday, December 19, 2006

human-bike interface

Feeling human again. My break from the bike came to end today, I think it was about 10 days. I rode about 1 hr on the road bike and tested a new cleat shim. I I don't take much time off the bike because I don't like being out of shape and don't have the time to get back into shape. For the working stiff like myself a huge break followed by weeks of noodling out slow base miles is not practical. Plus its no fun.

I will start riding again to a from work at a steady pace with an occasional effort thrown in for kicks, this helps me maintain some cycling specific fitness despite the short days and without having to crush my morale and psychological health by riding a trainer. I will skate ski 3-4x week to build the aerobic engine while remaining hungry and fresh for the bike. I will also throw in some long weekend rides followed by some intensity as the racing season grows near. In simple terms that's my winter training plan.

Today I hooked up with Dr. Max Testa to check out the cycling program at TOSH. A PT friend of mine who lives in the canyon and works with the US speedskating and ski teams hooked my up with Max and after spending the morning with him I know why he is considered "the man" when it comes to cycling docs. What a cool guy. I had him check out my hip issue and he came to the same conclusion I had but offered some new and hopefully effective treatment and alignment solutions. More on this another day. I plan to f/u with him again in a couple weeks, will see how it goes. I also ran into Amber Neben who is in town seeing Dr Heiden about a knee issue, I think the last time I saw her was at 24hrs of Moab when we raced for Sobe. Now she is big time euro roadie.
Anyway, this is a good time of year to sort out injuries and human machine interface issues.

time for bed, need my beauty sleep!

2 Comments:

Blogger UtRider said...

He's a cool guy. I arrived at work this morning to find a message from Max on my phone following up on our first visit. I don't know about your experience, but that was the first time a doctor has personally called me to see how things were going.

10:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That chick (Amber) will kick your ass... Yes, she clocks in at 75 lbs, but she'll still kick your ass.
RB

8:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home