Sunday, July 16, 2006

sphincters, surgery, and snowbird

I figured I would try to make it to the Snowbird ICUP race because it may be my last one of the season. Despite not riding that well and being a little tired I had a good time. Maybe that's because the alternative to being in the mountains on my bike was sitting in a classroom learning the details of the male and female reproductive system and specifically the pelvic floor musculature. I felt a little bad about ditching a few hours of class especially after arriving at class 2 hours late on Friday evening, here is my good excuse:
So Friday we had a below knee amputation scheduled for casting in the OR in the morning, it got pushed back until 3:30 pm. I made it up to the OR about 4:30 hoping to be set up and ready as soon as they close. When I arrived there was an attending surgeon along with a fellow, a resident, and a 4th year med student along with the OR nurse and surgical tech. Soon after I arrived the surgical suite next door had an emergency bleed out and our attending vascular surgeon had to go over to help out, no problem the fellow and resident could finish up with med student assisting. Well soon the med student was sent to the university to pick up some blood as they were running out in the room next door. I had to step in and assist a little. Once they got it closed I was able to place the immediate post operative prosthesis and be on my way, 2 hours late to my class.
Anyway, back to racing. The pace at the start was pretty nice and I suprisingly felt good. Alex and I rode together for 3 laps and only had to battle getting around lapped riders. On the fourth lap I got dropped and I don't know why, I wasn't hurting bad or anything I just ran out of energy and was not going as fast. Disappointingly after the race I found my front rotor had been bent badly from a run in with a lapper at the end of the 3rd lap and was dragging heavily, I would like to think that is the cause of my slow down, but it was probably my lack of rides over 30 min in the lst few weeks. I think Ed needs to start running the Sport classes earlier with the beginners on these short single track loops. I was very happy to see K-day back to his winning ways, I new it was only a matter of time. After the race we picnicked in the mountains.
Now I am ready for a little summer recharge with no racing for a while. I plan to take some time off the bike this week and finish up my shed. Then I hope to get some long rides in again and maybe a few races. Cross season is just over the horizon and I am waiting for my new bikes to show up.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

7:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home