Thursday, May 24, 2007

horizontal

I am laying on the floor at home just passing time in a dazed stupor.

Little Eva has been suffering all week with coxsackievirus which is a member of the enterovirus family and often referred to as hand foot and mouth disease. It is a viral infection that is common in children and very contagious. She had a bad fever and then developed sores all over her mouth which has made eating and sleeping nearly impossible. We found out that one of Eva's little cousins had it after they had been playing together, the damage was done. Once you develop the antibodies you are protected for life, like chicken pox. Most adults have the antibodies and thus it is uncommon for adults to become symptomatic.

I have felt kinda weird for a few days but with no real symptoms, today I feel like death with fever, chills, aches, sore throat, and visibly swollen lymph nodes in my neck. I went to the Sundance weeknight race last night to put some confidence back together and test out my return to regular cleat positioning. I did not have good legs and I really started to notice my swollen lymph nodes but the cleat position felt good and I was able to spin away from big ring Fox and Alex on some steep switchbacks for my first Sundance win in a while, although after the race I new things were headed south.

Sundance is where it all started for me and I actually built allot of the trails we ride on today while working there in the summer while in high school. I also think that's were I first met fox in the summer of 1989.

Back in my old shoes with only the minor change of moving my cleats a little behind the MTP joint feels good but I will need a little more time on it before I feel perfect. I think with my experiemnt I underestimated all the years of muscle memory and physiological changes.

Anyway, back to the plague. I was not able to make it into work today and have been sleeping on and off all day. At this point things don't look good for racing this weekend but I will just have to take it day to day. I am a little bummed because I think my fitness is pretty good I just have not been able to put it all together this year, I guess I can't complain as last weekend I can only blame my own botched experiment. I guess if racing was easy we wouldn't do it, maybe we would be golfers. Speaking of which Kyle is coming to today for week.

Sorry for all the rambling text but I have nothing else to do at the moment. Also, I would stay away from the Emigration Oaks loop on the road bike for about a week as they are stripping the bad chip seal and will be repaving next week, can't wait for smooth asphalt.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would stay away from the Emigration Oaks loop because the residents will threaten to call the cops on you for taking pictures up there.
Get well soon.
RB

7:18 AM

 
Blogger Bart G said...

one rotten apple spoils the whole bushel

8:25 AM

 
Blogger Jared said...

I would also stay away from the Emmigration Oaks Loop because you might look over your shoulder to see a dude in cut-offs, a t-shirt, white tube socks, and no helmet on a MTN. BIKE about to devour and drop you.

2:28 PM

 
Blogger climber said...

If golf was so easy we would all be making millions on the pga tour. hope you get well soon.

7:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home